Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Bring Out Your Dead: Strung Out


Over the course of 2015, there were several cases that once I got into a band, it would basically open the floodgates and introduce me to other bands through their scene or members. Once case was when I got into Lagwagon, After I started listening to them, I began listening to other bands on the Fat Wreck Chords roster (except for NOFX, ironically). However, aside from Lagwagon, the group that stood out to me most was Strung Out.

While the band is ultimately rooted in melodic skate punk that would fit on any early Tony Hawk game's soundtrack, it incorporates strong heavy metal influences in their guitar work as well as progressive rock in their more technical moments, which lead to an interesting listening experience. These influences slowly shift over time, as their sound subtly moves from excellent mid-90s punk on their early albums to more experimental albums at the turn of the millennium to the more metal-inflicted works since the mid 2000s. However, through even their most intense, abrasive moments, the band maintains a strong sense of melody which always shines through.

After getting into Lagwagon, I was in a total skate punk phase. I quickly got into several other groups that would have fit the Warped Tour in the 90s and Strung Out was no exception. Without much thinking, I ordered a copy of their album Twisted By Design simply because that was the one most people seemed to highlight. It was pretty good, but it wasn't THAT impressive at the time. However, I liked some of the material found on other albums and I noticed their new album Transmission.Alpha.Delta on the new albums section of iTunes, which had some good songs on it. I ended up putting a couple songs on my iPod just in time for a trip down to Florida and listened to those songs a lot. On vacation, my family has a $50 souvenir budget. However, I didn't get any souvenirs for that trip, and instead used the money to order several CDs, among them, three Strung Out CDs. I ended going home earlier than my parents and would listen to these albums repeatedly throughout the house. Since then, many of those songs have been etched into my memory as part of that trip, and I was hooked on the band. I would then begin amassing the rest of their discography throughout the rest of the year.

Nowadays, when I think if I ever had to show someone an accurate representation of my musical tastes, I would probably play a Strung Out song. The group's music is largely fast paced and marries the energy and feel of punk with the intensity and intricacy of metal, yet remains catchy. One thing that I really love about this band musically is that the band takes advantage of the two guitarists in the band, Rob Ramos and Jake Kiley. While they tend to use a standard rhythm/lead dynamic, they can also craft interesting harmonies through twin lead guitar parts and punishing riffs when both play rhythm. This guitar interplay is crucial to the band's sound, as are Jordan Burns' rapid drum patterns and Jason Cruz's voice and vocal harmonies. One of the downsides to this band is that the tempos are often similar between songs, meaning there is less diversity among the songs. However, that is where Cruz's vocals and the guitar work come in to save the day, as they are able to craft unique melodies for each song.

Breakdown of My Collection

1. Another Day in Paradise (1994, CD) - The group's first album finds the group still just establishing their style. Here, we can listen to elements of their music that they would come to refine in future albums. As a result, this is the band with the their rawest and most straightforward punk output. It's not bad, but isn't as memorable as some of the band's other albums. That being said, "Ashes" is probably one of my favorite Strung Out songs.
Highlights: "Ashes", "Population Control", "Away"

2. Suburban Teenage Wasteland Blues (1996, CD) - The group's second album is more focused than their previous album and the songs are more developed and memorable. While it is not my personal favorite, it is seen as one of the band's best, especially among their early albums, so this may be a good place to start with this band. There are a number of songs I enjoy on this, but I have a problem with the production on the album, which I actually consider to be a step down from Another Day in Paradise. In particular, I have a problem with the guitar tones. I don't know how to describe it other than the tones almost remind me of bees. However, some of these songs would be remixed for the best of compilation and sound better, but I will get to that in a little bit.
Highlights: "Firecracker", "Solitaire", "Bring Out Your Dead", "Wrong Side of the Tracks"

3. Twisted by Design (1998, CD) - My first album from the group and arguably one of their best. I know earlier I found it to be decent but not all that impressive, but that was more of my first impression. Over the past couple months, after I got into much of the band's other albums, I started listening to this album again and I have to agree with many listeners that this is probably their best. The songs are catchy, some are heavy, and is a strong album to conclude their early era. This was also the last album with bassist Jim Cherry, who was crucial to the band's earlier sound, both in terms of composition as well as how much of a role the bass played in the songs. It goes to show that this was as strong album, because it is both Jason Cruz's favorite Strung Out album and one of Fat Mike's favorite Fat Wreck Chords albums.
Highlights: "Too Close to See", "The Exhumation of Virginia Madision", "Deville", "Paperwalls", "Matchbox"

4. The Skinny Years... Before We Got Fat (1998, CD) - This CD is a compilation of early tracks pre-Another Day in Paradise. The songs were from before the band really found their sound. The songs are somewhat primitive compared to the rest of their work and the production quality is comparable to a studio demo. This is really only something for a collector, and is now included as part of the remastered reissue of Another Day in Paradise.
Highlight: "Support Your Troops"

5. Element of Sonic Defiance EP (2000, CD, Vinyl) - This EP marks a new era for the band. The music was still punk, but more experimental and abrasive than any of the band's previous works, but is an enjoyable listen. Some of the songs are slower, others incorporate more progressive rhythms or beats than earlier albums, and there is slightly more notable metal influence in the guitar work.
Highlights: "Jackie - O", "Everyday"

6. An American Paradox (2002, CD, Vinyl) - This album continues the somewhat experimental nature the band was playing with at the time, an is probably my personal favorite album by them. This was one of the albums I first bought during my trip to Florida when I first really liked them and it always stood out amongst the other albums. I probably listen to the more songs from this album frequently than any other albums by them.
Highlights: "Velvet Alley", "Kill Your Scene", "Alien Amplifier", "An American Paradox", "Dig", "Cemetery"

7. Exile In Oblivion (2004, CD) - From the artwork to the titles of the tracks to the music itself, this is the band's darkest output. This is the first album where the metal influences really begin to shine through. However, the melody is still there and there are several strong songs on this album. This was another album I bought while in Florida, but didn't pay as much attention to when I listened to it and isn't one that I put on as much as the others. However, any time I listen to it, I find more and more to like about it.
Highlights: "Analog", "Her Name In Blood", "Skeletondance", "Swan Dive"

8. Blackhawks Over Los Angeles (2007, CD) - This album reduces some of the dark, edginess of the Exile, and brings back some of the more direct punk sound, bringing a balance to the punk and metal sounds in the band's music. This is another album I don't listen to much, except for a handful of songs, but the songs I like are strong.
Highlights: "Calling", "All The Nations", "A War Called Home", "Mission Statement"

9. Agents of the Underground (2009, CD, Vinyl) - Much like Blackhawks, Agents of the Underground has a fairly even balance of punk and metal. This was one of my last albums to buy from these guys, but I listen to this album fairly frequently.
Highlights: "Black Crosses", "The Fever and the Sound", "Heart Attack", "Andy Warhol"

10. Prototypes and Painkillers (2009, CD) - This CD is another compilation, this time, incorporating b-sides, outtakes, compilation contributions, tracks from the Crossroads & Illusions EP, demos and a couple covers. The first handful of songs almost come across as a coherent album, while some of the demos could have made for interesting songs if they made it to any of their albums. Meanwhile it is interesting hearing early studio versions of other songs that sound like legitimate recordings, not demos.
Highlights: "Novacaine", "Novella", "Your Worst Mistake", "Don't Look Back", "American Lie"

11. Top Contenders: The Best of Strung Out (2011, CD) - While I don't buy best-of collections if I have the rest of a band's discography, this one stands out. Not only does it include three new tracks, all of the old songs are remixed, giving them a more consistent sound. This gives songs like "Bring Out Your Dead" and "Analog" new life and avoids the issue some greatest hits albums have where songs almost sound like they were done by different groups because of differing production values. Overall, this is a fantastic way to introduce someone to Strung Out's material.
New songs: "Saturday Night", "City Lights", "Here We Are"

12. Transmission.Alpha.Delta (2015, CD) - Even though I already owned Twisted By Design, finding this album is what really led me to love Strung Out. Musically, it carries on with the sound found on Agents and Blackhawks, and the group is strong as ever. This was the third Strung Out album I bought on that Florida trip, but the only one that actually showed up while I was away. As a result, certain songs like "Rebellion of the Snakes" and "Nowheresville" remind me of being down there.
Highlights: "Rats in the Walls", "The Animal and the Machine", "Nowheresville", "Westcoasttrendkill"

While there may be some more experimental bands that could qualify as punk in some way or another, I ultimately view these guys as a thinking man's punk rock band, at least in the musical sense of the Epitaph/Fat bands. If you want a good punk/metal band that can be catchy but not be lumped in with all the -core bands, I'd recommend these guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment