Saturday, April 9, 2016

I Sunk My Eyes In Static: Jawbox


One of my favorite experiences when it comes to finding music is taking a chance on a CD or record I haven't heard before and coming across an absolute gem. I don't necessarily recommend doing this a lot, because for the number of gems I have found, I've also bought some pieces of crap. However, in a sense, that makes it all the more rewarding when you find something good. This was the case when I came across Jawbox: a post-hardcore band from the DC area that was around in the 1990s.

In the punk community, they are somewhat infamous for being the first of the only two groups to make the jump from DC's Dischord Records to a major label. However, despite the outcry from fair-weather fans who cried "sell-out", Jawbox actually put out two more albums that were acclaimed. Unfortunately, like so many other groups that made the jump in to the majors in the 90s, no matter how well received the music may be, they failed to break into the mainstream and called it a day before the turn of the millennium. Since then, there has been only one reunion: in 2009, the group performed on Late Night With Jimmy Fallon to celebrate the anniversary of their seminal album, For Your Own Special Sweetheart. They've basically said there won't be any more reunions, but I can always hope. One reason I feel an attachment to this band also is because of how close to home the group was, much like several other Dischord bands I listen to. Many of these groups are from around the D.C. area, and I read Jawbox at one point lived in Silver Spring, Maryland, which is adjacent to my hometown.

When I started going to community college, I made a habit of visiting the local Goodwill once or twice a week. I almost treated it like a game. You never knew if you were going to find a good quality Nintendo 64, a DVD of your favorite TV show, or a CD you had just contemplated ordering on Amazon. On one visit, I came across a treasure trove of alternative CDs, most likely from the same collection. As I was skimming along the CD section, I noticed a couple albums with a Dischord tag on the side under the title, Jawbox. There were three albums there, their two Dischord releases, Grippe and Novelty, as well as their major label debut, For Your Own Special Sweetheart. I had only really heard the name before in iTunes recommendations after buying Fugazi songs, and I had never heard the group other than a brief sample of "Savory". I couldn't remember what the sample sounded like, other than it wasn't bad, so I figured "Why the hell not? It's only $2, and if I like it, I might come back for the others" and grabbed the copy of Grippe, just because it was the first one I saw.

When got in the car, I stuck the CD in, eager to hear my new album. The album kicks off with the pounding intro to "Freezerburn" before settling into a grooving melody. Five seconds in and I already like it. This is good. The next thing to hear is the vocals. At the time, when I thought of Dischord bands, I did not think of very tuneful singers. I thought of Ian MacKaye and Guy Picciotto barking and hollering. However, when I heard J. Robbins sing the first verse, I was pleasantly surprised. I realized "Wow, this guy can actually sing!" I was hooked from there on out. Compared to what I was hearing in Fugazi and Rites of Spring, this group had much more melodic capabilities and I immediately wanted to hear more.

The next day, I went back to the Goodwill to pick up the other two Jawbox albums there. There, I was able to grab Novelty, but when I went for the copy For Your Own Special Sweetheart, the disc wasn't the case (always make sure to check for that if you buy stuff from Goodwill). While I was annoyed, I was happy to at least get a copy of Novelty and enjoy the two new albums I had.

A couple weeks later, I'm back at Goodwill, trolling around for another good deal. I had found a couple CDs and was just about to head to the register and leave when a woman came out of the back room with a cart full of more CDs. Figuring it wouldn't hurt to check out what else was in there, I started skimming through the new selection and was thrilled to see the band's fourth album, Jawbox in the pile and immediately picked it up. I would ultimately buy For Your Own Special Sweetheart and the compilation, My Scrapbook of Fatal Accidents online in the following months, and a year later I came across a promotional single for the song, "Cooling Card". Along the way, I also picked up vinyl reissues of Grippe, Novelty and Jawbox.

Jawbox would go on to basically be the soundtrack for the second semester of my freshman year at college. The music could be noisy and abrasive, with guitarists J. Robbins and Bill Barbot creating contrasting guitar parts that played against each other rather than harmonized, backed by a powerful rhythm section that only became stronger with time. However, through this wall of sound, Robbins and co. were able to craft quirky yet accessible melodies as well as thick, heavy compositions.

Robbins would continue this style in his following bands, such as Burning Airlines (which would feature Bill Barbot on bass for the first record), Channels and Office of Future Plans, albeit with leaner compositions without the some of the noisier punk elements.


My pink vinyl copy of Grippe.


My clear vinyl copy of Novelty.

Breakdown of My Collection

1. Grippe (1991, CD, Vinyl) - Jawbox's first studio album as well as my first album I bought by them by chance. While not seen as a bad album, many fans don't pay as much attention to this one. In general, this album was recorded while the band was still trying to define its sound and is missing several elements that would be crucial to their later sound, such as the guitar interplay between Robbins and Barbot or the intricate drum patterns Zach Barocas brought to the group. The general sound is closer to simple melodic punk rock as opposed to the noisy post-hardcore they would be associated with. However, for me, this conventional sound made it easier for me to ease into the group's music, and because of the fond memories I have listening to it, I still enjoy it to this day. The inclusion of the band's earlier EP on the CD version is also a nice bonus.
Highlights: "Freezerburn", "Tools and Chrome", "Paint Out the Light", "Ballast", "Bullet Park", "Twister"

2. Novelty (1992, CD, Vinyl) - I bought this album the day after I bought Grippe and as soon as I heard it, I knew there were some differences. This was sound of the band finding its style. With the addition of Bill Barbot, we see the beginnings of the band's signature guitar work. At the same time, bassist Kim Coletta meshes better with drummer Adam Wade on this album, strenghtening the first incarnation of the group's rhythm section. When I first heard it, I wasn't as impressed the way I was with Grippe because of the increased abrasiveness, however, as I grew accustomed to their general sound, I came to enjoy this album.
Highlights: "Cutoff", "Tracking", "Static", "Tongues"

3. For Your Own Special Sweetheart (1994, CD) - This album is the band's major label and is seen as one of their best albums. Rather than trade in their sound for a sleek commercially friendly style, the group instead solidified their approach and made their arguably their most radio-unfriendly album. This albums marks the first appearance from drummer Zach Barocas, whose unique math-y, jazz influenced style added to the group's approach, as he clicks with Coletta even better than Adam Wade did. Like with Novelty, I was initially put off by the abrasive nature of the album compared to the previous one. However, this album ultimately rewards repeat listening. The reissue I have also includes the b-sides to the Savory single, including "68" which may be one of the best, most melodic Jawbox songs available.
Highlights: "Savory", "FF=66", "Cooling Card", "Chicago Piano", "Reel", "68"

5. "Cooling Card" Single (1994, CD) - This was a promotional single I came across in the budget section of the record store I frequent, and by budget, I mean I paid 10 cents for it. It has "Cooling Card", which is a decent song from For Your Own Special Sweetheart, "I've Got You Under My Skin", a Frank Sinatra cover, and "Thin White Line", a cover of a song by a punk band called Avengers. I like the first two but the third song is rather forgettable. It's only notable to me because I can't find it on any of the band's other releases.

6. Jawbox (1996, CD, Vinyl) - The eponymous final album by the band takes the group's signature sound and adds greater accessibility. The album opened is with "Mirrorful", which would probably be the most radio-friendly songs the band put out and apparently was a minor radio hit when it was released. This accessibility is also prevalent in other songs such as "Spoiler", "Livid" and the ballad, "Iodine". However, the group's signature sound is never compromised. In fact, songs like "Chinese Fork Tie", "Won't Come Off" and "His Only Trade" emphasize the group's signature elements such as Barocas' drum style and the quirky guitar interplay. When looking at all of the group's albums, I think I find myself listening to this one the most.
Highlights: "Mirrorful", "Livid", "Iodine", "Excandescent", "Spoiler", "Nickel, Nickel, Millionaire"

7. My Scrapbook of Fatal Accidents (1998, CD) - This CD was a posthumous collection by the band on Coletta and Barbot's label, DeSoto Records, that compiled several live tracks, Peel Session tracks, compilation tracks and covers. I rarely listen to this album mainly because I have little interest in live tracks or covers of songs I don't know very well. However, the one new track that was recorded right before the band broke up, "Apollo Amateur" is a neat song.
Highlights: "Tongues (Peel Session)", "Static (Peel Session)", "Apollo Amateur"

On a side note: while this is more of a reflection of Dischord than Jawbox, one thing I thought was very touching was when I ordered my copy of Novelty from Dischord's website, I got a brief thank you note included in the box my record came in. It's not much, but I liked that someone cared enough to thank me when they were packaging my record and I think it goes to show the down to earth sensibilities of the label.

No comments:

Post a Comment